Bifocal Denial

To Rite Aid, to Rite Aid
To buy some new specs
I left all my readers at home.
What the heck?

How many of these have I bought?
And to spare!
Every memory slip
Means I've got a new pair!

I wear them on leashes
Slung over my head.
I should give up
And implant them instead!

Yes, I've thought about contacts
But just can't decide
If up close is more crucial,
Or seeing outside

When I was a wee lass
And spectacle free
I wondered and puzzled
On how it would be

For things to look fuzzy
Or shadowy, blurred
It seemed so peculiar to me,
And absurd

Because everything then
Was so vividly clear
And I couldn't see there
How it looked to be here.

Would that vision and wisdom
Were somehow connected
To sharpen together
As age interjected

Oh, the follies and foibles
I could've avoided
If sight and acumen
Could be co-exploited

Instead, my reality
Grows ever grimmer
For wisdom glows brighter
As vision wanes dimmer

And now as I pay for them,
Stifling a curse
I vow that I'll carry
Two pair in my purse!

Comments

  1. Love it! And maybe I should buy stock in those babies!

    ReplyDelete
  2. They are like Tribbles in my house...until I need a pair, then they are nowhere to be found.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! I LOVE it! You are amazing!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Comments here:

Popular posts from this blog

Blue-eyed Blues (June 11, 2012)

Second Day of Summer (June 22, 2013)

#2